A cruise vacation is a great option for a romantic getaway. Choosing the right ship will guarantee the onboard ambiance you desire and a trip to remember long after the voyage is over.
Romance and cruising are a perfect combination of blue skies, azure seas, heavenly sunsets and destinations to dream of. Spending quality time with your special someone will be further enhanced on a cruise ship specially designed to suit the needs of couples.
Considerations when choosing a romantic cruise include:
- Pampering or party style
- Cabins with great amenities and balconies
- Private dining options
- Cosy ship corners
- Venues for late night entertainment
- Areas for relaxation on deck by day or night
Here is a brief overview of some of the most popular cruise lines and ships built with romance in mind.
Princess Cruises: Crown Princess, Emerald Princess, Ruby Princess
These vessels follow in the tradition of the original Princess Cruises “Love Boat”, and romance remains a major focus.
- Suites with large balconies, comfortable sitting areas and plenty of closet space
- The choice of traditional or private dining
- The romantic balcony breakfast option
- “Movies Under the Stars” with cushioned loungers and wool blankets
- The “Sanctuary” shaded hideaway retreat
- Spa and massage options
P&O Cruises: Arcadia
The Arcadia is an adults-only vessel, offering wedding packages and fine dining.
- The option to upgrade your suite to include whirlpool baths.
- The Viceroy Room, perfect for weddings
- The East Bar, ideal for wedding receptions
- Champagne and chocolates on arrival
- Special his ‘n’ hers toiletry sets
Paul Gauguin Cruises: Paul Gauguin
This ship was purpose-designed for romantic visits to the South Pacific year-round.
- Small and intimate; only 332 passengers
- Remote island destinations perfect for romance
- Inspired tropical cabin décor
- Balcony cabins available
- Butler service in some staterooms and suites
- The romantic La Palette Lounge
- Many onboard features included in the fare price
Crystal Cruises: Crystal Serenity
This ship, although large, provides intimate luxury including plenty of penthouse suites.
- All penthouse suits have verandahs
- Marble baths with jacuzzi
- Order off the restaurant menu for enjoying a meal on your private verandah
- The Sunset Bar with private nooks for sunset-watching
- Spacious terraced decks for intimate couples
Norwegian Cruise Line: Norwegian Gem, Norwegian Jewel, Norwegian Pearl, Norwegian Jade
The Norwegian Cruise Line philosophy of freestyle dining is perfect for finding a table-for-two. The jewel-class ships are a desirable combination of romance and activity.
- The best suites, known as Haven suites, are located in a private-access area
- Haven suites whirlpool tub and picture window
- Separate living and sleeping rooms
- Butler service
- Adults-only pool
- Bliss Ultra Lounge canopy beds
- Asian style pool with hot tub
More romantic cruise ship options
There are a lot of cruise ships that favour romance over flashy diversions. Other favourite lines worth investigating include both small and large vessels. Windstar Cruises; SeaDream Yacht Club; Celebrity Cruises; Regent Seven Seas Cruises and Seabourn are all dedicated to providing cruise facilities that will ignite romance and secure your relationship with your loved one.
Image credit: Scott Smith, Brian Digital, Carrie Finley-Bajak, Nigey B, Gary Bembridge (x2)
Leave a Reply