Royal Caribbean introduced this first Radiance-Class ship in 2001. Radiance of the Seas welcomed passengers to a whole new cruise ship look, with more than 50% of the ship’s exterior made of glass, allowing light to stream indoors and illuminate expansive and open areas. After a decade of exciting and exotic voyages, Radiance underwent a makeover in 2011 that introduced many new dining options, cabin improvements and a huge outdoor movie screen. The reborn Radiance of the Seas is more popular than ever with cruise enthusiasts.
Return passengers are still welcomed by the light and airy feel of Radiance. Although only mid-sized compared to the biggest passenger ships, Radiance has retained its warm expanses highlighted by an abundance of floor-to-ceiling windows. The outdoor/indoor feel of Radiance is further emphasised by exterior elevators that span the height of 12 decks. Additional features of the 2011 renovations include a babies and toddlers nursery, modern flat-screen TVs, 12 brand new cabins and touch-screen “wayfinders” (introduced on Oasis-class ships) that assist passengers to find their way around the ship and inform of events.
New and regular passengers choose Radiance of the Seas for a number of reasons. As a medium sized vessel it has an intimate and personable feel. However, what Radiance lacks in size it more than makes up for in onboard options. The goal in creating the Radiance-Class ships was to incorporate the most popular features of other Royal Caribbean ships, and it doesn’t disappoint Itineraries that are split between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres also ensure a diverse mix of people get to experience all the Radiance of the Seas features and attractions, along with breathtaking destinations.
Royal Caribbean markets its cruises as an affordable choice that doesn’t skimp on luxury, comfort or adventure. Couples, singles and entire families are accommodated on Radiance, with plenty of options for action or relaxation. Cruising is no longer the domain of retirees or the elderly. In fact, the shorter Radiance cruises of up to four nights attract a passenger demographic of mostly 30-40 year-olds. Longer cruises remain ever-popular with the 50-plus age bracket.
Radiance of the Seas provides accommodation options suited to everyone’s taste and budget. You can book a cabin for one passenger, or a RCI Royal Suite designed to accommodate an entire family. Comfort and convenience is guaranteed, along with all the privacy and downtime you require. Radiance of the Seas suites are the luxury option with all the bells and whistles. Features include a king-size bed, whirlpool bathtub, plus spacious living areas with kitchen, dining and a private balcony. Passengers in smaller cabins have their fair share of luxury also, with accommodations that include twin beds (convertible to a queen-size), private bathroom and shower, sofa, flat-screen TV, air-con, mini bar and internet access.
With eight new eateries introduced on Radiance of the Seas, passengers are spoilt for choice and can try a different menu every day.
- Main Dining Room: a huge range of complimentary dining for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Windjammer Cafe: more great complimentary offerings
- Chops Grille: the signature steakhouse
- Izumi Restaurant: Japanese selections include a la carte sushi
- Park Cafe: complimentary
- Boardwalk Doghouse: complimentary hot dogs
- Samba Grill: Brazilian Steakhouse
- Giovanni’s Table: the Italian restaurant experience
- Rita’s Cantina: Mexican favourites
- Chef’s Table: an intimate dining experience
Entertainment & Shopping
Some people cruise to relax, unwind and escape from worldly worries for a while. Other cruisers enjoy socialising, meeting new people and experiencing a variety of sensory delights. Radiance of the Seas has all options covered.
- Main Theatre: three-story high and hosting Broadway-style entertainments
- Casino Royale: enjoy Vegas-style with 11 gaming tables and 188 slot machines
- Poolside: the new (huge) outdoor movie screen for entertainment on those balmy nights
- 16 clubs, bars and lounges, all without cover charge.
- The Colony Club: showcase your skills on the self-leveling pool tables
- Duty-free shops: purchase the best brand-name perfume, jewellery and clothing
Cruising on Radiance of the Seas is an opportunity for some serious pampering and health activities. With a little dedication you will return home tanned, trim and terrific.
- 3 Pools: including the adults-only Solarium
- 3 Whirlpools
- Vitality Spa: treat yourself to a massage or acupuncture session
- Fitness Centre: tone up with tai chi and yoga
- Concierge Club and Diamond Lounge: relax, unwind, enjoy
For the Adventurous
Royal Caribbean understands that not everyone is the rewind and relax type. Some people just have to get up-and-at-em no matter where they are. Radiance of the Seas provides a range of diversions to help you engage your body as well as your mind.
- Rock-climbing wall
- Basketball court
- Jogging track
- Mini-golf course
- Video game arcade
Radiance of the Seas provides opportunities for everyone to have a great time. Families enjoy cruising together, but everyone needs a little time apart also. Radiance has the answers.
- Adventure Ocean Youth Program: complimentary
- Royal Babies and Royal Tots Program: complimentary
- Tots and Babies Nursery
- Teens: lounge areas and even a disco for meeting and mingling
- Adventure Beach: pool and waterslide for kids
- Family Fun: games, contests and interesting classes
Arriving onboard Radiance of the Seas, passengers will be immediately awed by the nine-story central atrium. You will feel you have truly arrived at a destination and not just a ship for taking you from point A to B. The 2011 upgrades introduced many Oasis-class initiatives to Radiance that can be fully appreciated when visiting breathtaking Alaska, Australia and New Zealand.
The Australian departure port of Brisbane is ideally located for taking passengers north to a tropical Australian and South Pacific wonderland, or south to the idyllic majesty of awe-inspiring New Zealand. Many destinations on Radiance of the Seas are truly once in a lifetime experiences unequalled anywhere else on the planet, and Royal Caribbean are proud to be a part of your adventure.
Radiance of the Seas statistics
|Decks||13 (12 guest accessible)|
|Cruising Speed||25 knots|
|Length||962ft / 293m|
|Beam||105.6ft / 32.2m|
|Draft||28ft / 8.5m|
Deck plans can be download from the official website.