In 2013, Royal Caribbean’s Legend of the Seas underwent a major revamp. The expected furniture and décor upgrades resulted in the vessel looking ship-shape and ready for a new generation of cruisers. Regulars on Legend of the Seas will also be pleasantly surprised on their next cruise, with a lot of existing features revamped and improved and a host of new attractions added alongside all the old favourites.
New Features on Legend of the Seas
For starters, 13 new cabins have been added, and cabins on deck 6 have been retro-fitted, all of them with new balconies for outdoor relaxation. At first glance this might not seem such a major overhaul, but considering Legend of the Seas is one of Royal Caribbean’s smaller ships, with a passenger capacity of only 1,832, it’s a major transformation.
In all, $50 million was invested on shipboard improvements. Restaurant venues have been altered and additional dining options introduced. The upscale Chef’s Table experience is now a part of the Legend experience, as are Chops Grille, Izumi and the Park Cafe.
Legend now has a huge outdoor movie screen, ideal for those balmy cruise nights. It’s situated on the focal pool deck, a great hanging-out and meeting area for everyone. Another new innovation are ‘Wayfinders’ located near the elevators. Passengers need never get lost, with touch-screen information about deck plans, cruising schedules and directions all at hand.
The Centrum, soaring over five decks high, remains the centerpiece and home of onboard entertainment, even featuring aerialist acrobatic shows which can be viewed from the newly added R Bar. The recent renovations haven’t hampered the comfortable and relaxed reputation of Legend of the Seas. It remains a great option for those wanting a longer cruise without too many overwhelming attractions and activities. The Legend is even small enough to visit the Panama Canal – a must for seasoned cruise veterans. Cabins have also been upgraded and all now include flat TVs and faster Wi-Fi coverage. There are two new lounges, the ‘Concierge’ and ‘Diamond’, plus a nursery for the little ones.
Legend of the Seas remains a popular ship with Royal Caribbean regulars. Apart from the Caribbean and Panama Canal, the Legend visits Canada, the South Pacific, Asia and Europe. There is no better place to meet people from all around the world than on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship.
Legend of the Seas cabin features
RCI Royal Suites: 2 bedrooms (one with king bed) plus an extra room with bunks; extended balcony with comfy furniture; whirlpool bathtub and separate shower; kitchen and dining area; queen-size sofa bed; surround sound media centre and more.
All Suites apart from Junior Suites also have Concierge Service including around-the-clock access to the Concierge Lounge; priority service for salon, spa, tours and excursions, and private party arrangements.
Owner Suites: queen beds; large bathroom with bathtub and shower; living room with double sofa bed and dining area; media centre and walk-in closet.
Royal Family Suites: 2 bedrooms with twin beds that convert to queens size; guest bedroom; living room with vanity, double sofa bed, dining table, dresser and sofa.
Grand and Junior Suites: 2 convertible twin beds; large bathroom with bathtub and shower; roomy living area; sofa bed; chairs; walk-in closet.
Panoramic Ocean-view rooms: floor to ceiling windows; convertible twin beds; large living area with vanity and sofa; ample closet space.
All rooms contain a range of additional amenities: hair dryer; bath products; flat TV; air-conditioning; phone; safe; mini bar; internet access; room service.
Dining on the Legend of the Seas
Enjoying old favourites and sampling new cuisines is all part of the Royal Caribbean experience, and Legend of the Seas doesn’t disappoint. Here are some major options to tantalise your taste buds.
- Main Dining Room: complimentary multi course banquets for breakfast, lunch and dinner
- Windjammer Cafe: complimentary
- Solarium Cafe: complimentary
- Ben & Jerry’s: find out just why this famous brand ice cream is so popular
- Cafe Latte-tudes: renowned as the best coffee originating in Seattle
- Chef’sTable: intimate and private dining
- Park Cafe: complimentary
- Chops Grille: the signature steakhouse
- Izumi: a la carte sushi and Asian-fusion
Relax and refresh
When the time comes to put your feet up and relax, Legend of the Seas will make you feel right at home.
- Vitality Spa: an extensive range of treatments and features for indulgence and pampering
- Fitness Centre: try yoga, aerobics and kick-boxing
- Two pools including the Solarium: an adults only retreat
- 4 whirlpools
- Outdoor movie screen
- Concierge Club and Diamond Lounge
Entertainment and retail therapy
Everything is onboard a Legend of the Seas cruise, including entertainment and shopping experiences that make your home away from home so special.
- Main Theatre: complimentary Broadway-style song and dance shows
- Casino Royale: 17 gaming tables and 117 slot machines
- 8 different lounges and bars: no cover-charge, including the popular Champagne Bar
- The Centrum: nightly entertainment and daytime spectacles that include acrobatic aerials
- Duty-free shops: purchase name brand perfumes, apparel and jewellery
- R Bar: sophisticated and swanky 1960’s theme and tasty cocktails
Kids and family friendly
Cruising is no longer only about wealthy retirees. Although Legend of the Seas is extremely popular with mature age groups there is plenty to keep the youngsters happy.
- Adventure Ocean Youth Program: lots of fun and activities
- Royal Babies and Royal Tots Program: the young ones won’t even realise you are not there while having fun under the supervision of trained personnel
- Teen Only: an area for teens to make friends in their own age group, including a disco
- Royal Babies and Tots Nursery: for moments when they need a rest and you need alone time
- Family friendly activities, games, classes, lectures and contests
- Although Legend of the Seas doesn’t have all the action and adventure bells and whistles of some newer cruise ships, there are still a number of activities and diversions to keep you occupied and in shape. Onboard facilities include a rock-climbing, jogging track, mini-golf and a video game arcade.
Legend of the Seas has moved with the times and is once again one of Royal Caribbean’s most popular ships. Here are a few stats:
Legend of the Seas statistics
|Cruising Speed||24 knots|
|Length||867ft / 264m|
|Beam||121ft / 37m|
|Draft||26.5ft / 8m|
|Installed power||5 x Wärtsilä Vasa engines|
11,700 kilowatts each